Wednesday, March 14, 2012

How Spanish last names (Spain ) work when you get married


How Spanish last names (Spain ) work when you get married.?
I am trying to understand how Spanish ( from Spain ) work. They have two last names and I know one is the fathers and the other is the mothers, but if you were to marry someone from Spain how would it work. I will give fake names and if someone can tell me how it works I would appreciate that. Let's say my name is Nicole Andreola Bianchi ( which I don't use bc we don't do that in America). and my husband to be is Raul Ramos Hernandez. What would my name become if I married that man? Thanks a lot to whoever can answer this for me. The answers are even more confusing. lol If I married a man from Spain which last name would I take? The fathers right? And then you keep your father's last name and your husbands fathers last name? : ) I appreciate the answers thus far.
Other - Spain - 8 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Generally your name would stay the same, but the name of any child that you had would take the fathers name first and the mothers name second - therefore your child would be called Spudoonika Hernandez Bianchi. However, the equal rights movement in Spain earlier this week successfully argued that the parents could choose which surname to use in which order they chose - http://www.tumbit.com/news/articles/2307-alphabetic-order-may-decide-kids-surnames-in-spain.html EDIT : It wouldn't change
2 :
Women's name do not change because of marriage. If you're Nicole Andreola Bianchi and you're marrying Raúl Ramos Hernández, both of you will keep the same last name and you're kids will be called *xxx* Ramos Andreola, or *xxx* Andrela Ramos depending on the order you choose.
3 :
Basically, people do not change their names on marriage. Names are made up thus. Christian name, then father's family name, then mother's family name. A recent change in naming law allows the mother's name to come second and the father's to come last. AND if the family cannot agree, the government will record the names officially in alphabetical order. This will cause chaos but who cares. Not Mr Zapatero. I, and an angry doctor, found that I had two medical files because my name is made up with my mother's family name second and father's third like many Brits.
4 :
The nearest I can figure is exactly like they do in Latin America. I know a woman from Spain. She was married when we met, her surname was the same as her brothers. It still is. She is divorced, now. Same (Paternal) apellido all along. Without knowing for sure, I'm pretty certain that her mother's name was attached until she married, and her husband's paternal apellido was attached, with a de, while she was married, and it probably reverted after her divorce. She only uses the paternal apellido, as do most people in my experience.
5 :
I'm Spanish, so I can help you! If your name is Nicole Andreola Bianchi, after you get married your name would still be Nicole Andreola BIanchi. You wouldn't change you name after you marry your husband, because in Spain we don't have the concept of the maiden name. To keep it short, your name after you get married is the same name you were born with. You enter and leave this world with the same name.
6 :
I don't think you have GOT to accept your husbands name anywhere in the world,. although for some Arab countries I will stand corrected on that point! I am english, married to spanaird, but almost everything I have is in my "english" single name........ some paper work I did add my husbands last name................but when signing papers etc., it is up to me if I add it at the time! EG. - if my name was Susan Smith...............I could now be.............Susan Gomez Smith........or not............must admit some spanish love their old family names especially the very wealthy or titled ones, their names read like a page from the local telephone book !! Pedro Garcia Gomez Hernandez, etc., they can go on for ages. Hope this helps a bit................
7 :
The answers aren't confusing at all. Neither your, your husbands, your dentist's or your cats name would change no matter who you marry. Spanish people have the same name from the day they are born 'til the day they die.
8 :
In Spain your name dont change when you married.