Wednesday, March 21, 2012

What type of visa will I need to work and live in Spain


What type of visa will I need to work and live in Spain?
I am an American student, recent graduate, wanting to travel to Spain with my fiance to live for 8 months. She will be working there on a Student Visa as part of her University course. I will also be seeking work to earn money so I know that I cannot be on a tourist visa. What type of visa I should aquire to make this possible? Would it make it easier if we were married? For Example, could I travel with her on her student visa as her spouse?
Other - Spain - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
What you need to do is find out what type of card is accepted in Spain. If you look at the back of a credit card it has the brand of card (not Visa / MasterCard) I can't remember off hand what the different types are, maybe "cirrus" Call a major bank ie. wells fargo and ask them if they know. Or somewhere that has travel warnings / information. I have been to south America and I was able to use my credit card and debit card (through wells fargo) while I was there. Also make sure you call the company you have the credit cards through and tell them you are traveling out of the country or they will turn it off!! VERY important..
2 :
You should really contact the Embassy in Madrid for definitive detail on what Visa you will need
3 :
I lived in Spain on a student visa, and then looked into getting one after college to work. It is not easy. You have to have someone who will hire you to sponsor you, but finding someone to do that without having a visa is tricky. I am not sure about travelling on your girlfriend/potential wife's visa. You need to contact the Spanish consulate that covers the region where you live. You can find this information online fairly easily. I used the San Francisco consulate and it was VERY difficult to get ahold of them or to get straight answers. They are open limited hours, I think 8-1 or something like that. I also know that sometimes I had to speak Spanish, so if that is a barrier for you, you might need to find someone who can do the calling for you. Good luck, it is a lot of work, but being able to live in Spain is well worth it in my opinion!