Sunday, November 21, 2010

Will my debit card work in Spain


Will my debit card work in Spain?
I am leaving for spain in 7 days, I wont to know if my debit card is going to work in their ATMs. The symbols on the back are NYCE, MasterCard and STAR. My list says its need to have a CIRRUS on the back, but will it still work without that?
Other - Spain - 9 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
i dont know but the real question is... WILL IT WORK ON MARS?!
2 :
If the list says CIRRUS then that is what you should have. Most banks charge for withdrawing in international places so you need to check with your bank on that as well.
3 :
my debit card worked (in france anyway) and mine does not have CIRRUS on it.
4 :
I've found debit cards work OK in ATM machines in Europe. Actually that's a great way to get local currency without paying outrageous exchange rates. Beware of add-on fees from your bank however. If you do lots of small transactions you may find you get hit with a lot of fees. What doesn't seem to work is to use it as a credit card. I have been unable to use my card in train ticket vending machines or in purchasing online from some European websites. There's some difference between US and European Visa and Mastercards that prevents US cards from being recognized. My bank was completely unhelpful on this. They assured me there couldn't possibly be such a problem.
5 :
If it needs to have CIrrus.. then it needs to have cirrus. Look into a VISA or AMEX cash card and load it with $$.
6 :
It should. The best place to ask this question, though, is the bank that issued it. They can also tell you how much the fees are that THEY will charge you. And, if you get to an ATM that ONLY has a cirrus logo, (then you probably ARE on Mars) then you need a Cirrus card. When you get to an ATM in Spain, there will be about twenty different logos. I know you can use a PLUS card at many. If it says Mastercard, you shouldn't have any problems. I do believe that STAR is accepted there, as well. Again...YOUR bank is the place to start on that question.
7 :
my master card worked in America and works in spain were i live but its a british card debit cards are normally cheaper to use than credit cards but they all charge for withdrawals in another country
8 :
Call your bank and tell them about it.
9 :
Call your bank and ask them about using the card internationally. A word to the wise: You might want to take an extra debit card or credit card with you. When I was in Mexico I only had one bank card, and the ATM ate my card and I finally got it replaced, but it caused a lot of hassles for me. If you have time, get an extra bank card... if not, try to avoid the ATMs where you have to insert your card inside the machine. Try to use the ATMs where you have to swipe it instead.