Monday, August 1, 2011

How does a US citizen get a work permit in Spain


How does a US citizen get a work permit in Spain?
I'm going there next year through an embassy program for language and culture assistants, and although they're paying me, my Spanish professor told me that it wouldn't really be enough to live on in Madrid. I'm saving up what I can before I go, but it would be nice to earn another paycheck while I'm over there, even if it's just part-time/minimum wage (I'm a college student, it's not like I'm used to a 6 figure income or anything). But I have no idea where to begin, any advice would be appreciated!
Spain - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
You will need to contact the Spanish embassy nearest you, or on line. I believe you will need someone to sponsor you, as I was once going to defect to Gran Canaria, Spain, and that's what I was gonna do. It may be different for a college kid though...check it out.
2 :
I've heard that it is hard for non-EU citizens to get work permits in the EU unless you have a skill no one else in Europe has. It is worth a try though. Go to the embassy or try to secure a job first. Look on the internet for jobs in your city.
3 :
This will be tough. You need to get the job before you get there, and your sponsor/employer will have to do the paper work. If I were you, I'd call up the person in charge of the embassy program and find out exactly what the salary and living condition situation will be. Maybe they'll have some ideas.